In the US the statistics say somewhere between 30 and 45 percent of households have dogs, and somewhere between 30 and 35 percent of households have cats. That means almost half of all households you’ll walk into when searching for a home have a pet.
But as a seller there are rules you need to follow to make sure the buyers coming into your home are happy.
Even the biggest animal lover can get caught up in messes other people’s animals make. Or even caught up thinking about the harm your pet could do to them.
There are easy ways for your home not to shout “pet owner” when a buyer opens the door.
10 Tips for Selling Your Home With Pets
1. Board your animals, or send them to another house while your home is on the market. This way they’re out of the way for any last minute showings.
2. Crate your animals if they need to be home during a showing. Even the smallest, friendliest dog, can scare away potential buyers.
3. Remove litter boxes for showings. Or if this isn’t possible make sure they’re sparkling clean. There is no bigger turn off than a full, stinky litter box.
4. Scoop poop from the yard. This one feels like a no brainer but you’d be surprised how many people skip this task. You want people to check out your yard without worry.
5. Remove food dishes and toys. Put away all evidence of you owning a pet. You know the saying “out of sight, out of mind”.
6. Have carpets professionally cleaned. Having a professional come in to clean the carpets will do a deeper job, removing more hair and odor.
7. Remove scents. You may have become accustomed to the scent of your house but buyers will notice it first thing. Be careful masking the scent with artificial scent as buyers can be allergic.
8. Repair and paint any damage from the animal. If there are scratch marks on the floors or door frames it’s a good idea to fix these before they catch buyer’s attention.
9. Inform your Realtor of your pets behavior so the information can be passed along. If your animal has to be left out during showings let your Realtor know how it behaves. That way other agents and buyers are informed.
10. Vacuum. Dust. Clean. Have I stressed enough how important cleaning is?