We know moving can be overwhelming. Looking around your home at all of your belongings and trying to figure out where to start packing can be daunting. We’ve put together a list of supplies and tips for a jumping off point!
- Pack a first day essentials box. Put everything you’ll need the first day in a box and set it to the side so it doesn’t get put in the back of the truck.
- Assign a color to each room to make sorting easier
- Don’t mix rooms together when packing. That way each box can go directly into the room it belongs in.
- Label everything. Don’t be afraid to get specific on your boxes so you know exactly which bathroom box your hair dryer ended up in!
- If items are already organized together wrap them in one piece to keep them that way!
- Pack kitchen and bathroom drawers in plastic baggies then put them into a box.
- Wrap silverware together instead of individually.
- Use trash bags to pack hanging clothes together, leaving the hangers exposed.
- Pack knives and other sharp objects in over mitts to keep unpacking safe.
- Use soft items to pad breakables, like dish towels and dishes
- Pack heavy things in smaller boxes, this way you don’t have giant boxes that are too heavy to lift.
- Be sure to pack heavier items on bottom of boxes and save lighter items for the top. You don’t want top heavy boxes!
- Put masking tape over mirrors and glass so if it breaks it doesn’t shatter.
- Collect wine cases from liquor stores to pack glassware.
- If you’re packing the moving truck yourself lay everything out so you can see it. Make sure to pack the truck tight so things don’t slide around.